UPI AutoPay is a new service that allows users to make recurring payments through the UPI system. National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) launched this service to make purchasing easier for consumers. The users now can set up automatic monthly payments for recurring use cases such as the payment of bills, the recharge of utility accounts, the repayment of loans, the investment in mutual funds, the subscription to content, the purchase of groceries, payments to housing societies, and membership fees. Thanks to automatic payments, users can make recurring transactions through UPI apps for less than 5,000 rupees.
In the next sections of this post, we will examine in depth what UPI Automatic Payments is and everything else pertinent to the topic.
What is UPI AutoPay?
India uses UPI as one of its most popular payment methods. Through the UPI automatic payment feature, an individual can automate monthly payments of a fixed amount that will be deducted from the account on a specified date. Individuals can use this service to pay bills, obtain content subscriptions, and access utility services, among other things. NPCI’s UPI AutoPay is a brilliant initiative that allows its customers to make recurring payments using UPI-linked bank accounts.
Subscription-based payments are becoming more popular in India due to the digitalisation of use cases such as bill payments, financial investments, and the rapid adaptation of OTT platforms. And by offering recurring payments, the company hopes to improve customer convenience so they can enjoy uninterrupted services. It also benefits merchants by ensuring that payments are received on time.
How does UPI AutoPay work?
Since UPI AutoPay, major UPI applications have included a ‘Mandate’ option. Users can use this option to create, modify, approve, revoke, or pause the auto-debit mandate. To use these features, app users must give merchants who want to automate payments on the platform a one-time approval. Other details, such as the subscription start date, merchant name, and debit frequency, must also be entered when creating the subscription.
Let’s go over the procedures for using UPI AutoPay
- Customers are required to select a subscription plan.
- Customers are required to approve a transaction using a UPI PIN. (This is a one-time transaction authentication activity.)
- UPI recurring payments are automatically deducted, with no further action from the customers.
- Customers can revoke or pause mandates at any time using the UPI app.
- Customers can set up recurring payments on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, half-yearly, yearly, or as-presented basis.
UPI AutoPay Limit
eMandate on bank accounts and debit cards: 1,00,000
eMandate on UPI AutoPay: Up to Rs.15,000 can be debited without a UPI PIN
Benefits of UPI AutoPay
Benefits for Customers:
1. On-time payments avoid late fees/penalties.
2. In recurring mandates, customised payment options (such as monthly, quarterly, and so on) and amounts (ranging from Rs.1/- to Rs.5000+) are available for every customer.
3. Modify/ Revoke/ Pause features are also available for changing orders as needed.
4. A safe and convenient method of making recurring payments.
5. A cashless method of transaction.
6. No standing in long lines.
7. There is no documentation or paperwork.
Benefits for Merchants:
1. Quick and simple registration will result in a shorter turnaround time.
2. Ensure that customers pay on time.
3. Improved customer service.
4. Increased customer base as a result of customer satisfaction and retention.
5. Establishing customer trust.
6. Registration is open for all possible flows.
UPI AutoPay vs. Other Recurring Payment Methods
In India, recurring payments can be enabled via credit card standing instructions, e-mandate via authentication via net banking or debit card, or by enabling e-mandate via UPI AutoPay.
Let’s compare UPI AutoPay to other types of recurring payments.
Standing instructions on credit cards
By using net banking and debit cards, you can authorize auto-charging of your bank account
eMandate – UPI AutoPay
Payment Modes Supported
Any Indian bank can use API eMandate to conduct net banking
Apps based on UPI, such as BHIM, are used to make UPI payments
Time taken from authorisation to registration
Between 24 to 48 hours
Limit or transaction value
Existing credit card limit
Rs 10,00,000 (from August 2021)
A debit of up to 15,000 can be sent without a UPI PIN
The UPI AutoPay feature is not only easier to implement for businesses, but it is also convenient for users. Users can create, approve, modify, pause, or revoke auto debit mandates using any UPI App. The UPI Automatic Payments feature allows users to access previous mandates for reference and records.
UPI AutoPay, backed by a powerful subscription solution, is simple to use and offers a wide range of features, making it one of the most popular and convenient payment solutions on the market. Customers can now enjoy seamless service and save themselves from unnecessary hassle and fraud, thanks to the automation of bill payment.
1. What exactly is UPI AutoPay?
Ans: Users can use UPI AutoPay to create, modify, approve, revoke, or pause the auto-debit mandate. Automatic monthly payments for recurring use cases such as bill payments, utility recharge, loan repayment, mutual fund investments, content subscription, grocery purchases, housing society payments, and membership fees are available to users.
2. What is the maximum number of transactions that UPI AutoPay allows?
Ans: Users can use autopay to make recurring transactions under Rs. 5,000 using UPI apps like Paytm.
3. Is it possible to change the UPI AutoPay mandate?
Ans: Users can create, approve, modify, pause, or revoke auto debit mandates using any UPI App.
4. How does UPI AutoPay benefit customers?
Ans: Customers can benefit from UPI AutoPay in the following ways.
i. A safe and convenient method of making recurring payments.
ii. A cashless method of transaction.
iii. No standing in long lines.
iv. There is no documentation or paperwork.